The Municipal Market of Chania, with a total area of 4,000 m2, is located in the center of Chania, at the point where today the heart of the city beats. Its foundation began on August 14, 1911, at the spot where the main bastion of the fortifications stood during the Venetian period, while the construction of the building was completed in the second half of 1913.
The official opening for the operation of the Municipal Market was made by the then Prime Minister of Greece El. Venizelos on December 4, 1913, three days after the official ceremony of the Union of Crete with Greece. The Municipal Market has the shape of a cross and four doors, one in each wing, that close to provide security to the shops housed there. Today, the Agora building houses numerous shops that sell local products and souvenirs. The Municipal Market is an architectural jewel for Chania and is one of the most impressive in the Balkan area.